Sunday, May 2, 2010

It's a we thing

I didn't write on Friday night because i was really tired...i sat and stared at the blank page...not because i couldn't think of anything to write about, but bc i had too much to write about. i couldn't figure out how to start, so i just decided to sleep on it. the next day, i knew what i had to write about. i'll get to that later. now is the time for some lighthearted news.

Friday morning started early with Meredith's award ceremony at MP. She was receiving not one, but two honor awards out of all the underclassmen. the awards were in Housing and Interiors and Spanish II. Don't ask me (or her!) how she got the spanish 2 one lol. But it is something hilarious to rub in matthew's face since they sit next to each other in spanish. I am so proud of my little chika! she's been a huge help getting my house together and making sure all the furniture looks right visually. she's pretty much a professional interior designer w the certificate to prove it!



my mom and i went to the pancake house after the awards ceremony. that's one of my favorite breakfast spots! the food is always good and the oj has real pulp in it yumm. it's kinda pricey and the portions are huge, so my mom and i shared the giant western omelet. we even had some leftovers (which i ate for dinner last night).


when i got back to my place, i had a bunch of emails to catch up on. one of the emails was from Colby. for those of you that don't know, Colby is my 3rd (or 2nd??) cousin, we are 3 days apart, and were roommates in college. aka, we're very close. she just got married in October, and it's something that im still getting used to...they moved to va for jacob's job and it's still just so crazy for me that she's married. my dad calls me an old maid bc a lot of my friends are (or are getting) married. which, is pretty ironic since ive been with Dan for over 3 1/2 years. not that i want to be married right now. but some things just take a while for me to get used to... like this email i got from colby. to her, it was just a simple few sentences responding to an email it'd sent her the day before. i asked if she had any plans in the summer yet bc i wanted to come visit her, and for to let me know. this is all i saw when i read the email: WE dont have plans...WE are going to weddings on these dates...WE would love for you to come...WE WE WE... now, i know she did not mean anything by that email and had no intention other than to respond to my question. me being me, i immediately took offense to the entire email...my internal thoughts flowing as such: "We??!" since when did she start referring to herself in the "we" form??

We, aka
not you
not me
something you don't have
im married, you're not

so as you can see, i have a lot of insecurities about the fact that people around me are getting married and using "we" more now than i am comfortable with. It's so weird growing up. Watching your friends become wives and husbands with spouses. things will never be the same. you will never be the center of their world. new priorities come up, and now you have to watch from a distance when you used to be in the middle of it all. it's hard growing up. i don't know if it will be easy or hard to change from the me to we one day. i imagine i'll probably still want to use the I or me a lot... which is probably another reason why im not begging to get married lol. so that's something ive been pondering all weekend.

that got me thinking about another thing... what the purpose of my blog is and what i'm trying to accomplish. well, first of all, id just like to express my thoughts and hope that others can relate and maybe even respond to what i write. every night, i'd lay in bed wanting to write in my journal. but my thoughts were rushing through my mind, to the point that i was too overwhelmed to even start bc i knew i wouldn't be able to finish. this is substituting for my nightly journal in hopes that i can just get everything out there and be as honest as possible. i dont want to start censoring myself, but i will use discretion as needed, and never want to use my words to harm others. i dont want this to be a place where i rant and go on and on about this and that. i hope my blog never gets to be annoying, bc that would be annoying. feel free to comment if you ever want to say something.

oh and another thing... as you can tell, i take the relaxed approach to grammar and spelling out words. please don't hold that against me. i am a perfectionist, so i usually read sentences like 3 and 4 times, rephrasing all the time until i get it exactly write. one of dan's biggest pet peeves is watching me type an email... it drives him crazy the way i'll write entire sentences and then just erase the whole thing lol. so needless to say, i'm making a conscious effort not to read over the blog a million times until i have the editing perfect. it's kind of like therapy for me. i can just see it now, "Oh my gah, Becky, look at the way she used that comma! can you believe how she doesn't write out words??"

I'm sleeping at shaker tonight bc my parents are out of town all week. so, i couldn't load any pics tonight, but i'll add some to this post tmrw. Goodnight and happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah - I'm REALLY bad about saying "I" and having to delete and replace with "WE" - changing from "me to we" as you put it is definitely a toughie ;) Love ya girlie!!

    ReplyDelete