Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Amy, Auditor by day...

I had a meeting with my manager today to catch up on everything that's been going on in the last month. As we were wrapping up, she was telling me about her wedding planning and how she's getting her bridal portraits taken this weekend. I brightened up and told her how I'd taken my cousin and a few friends' bridal portraits. Almost shocked, she said, "Really?" and asked how long i'd been taking pictures, etc. "Why didn't i know this?" she wondered, and then proceeded to ask what i was doing on her wedding date lol. "Oh you have no idea," i added, "i just auditioned for Glee a few weeks ago!" Then she got this really confused look on her face. Laughing, she said, "I could totally not see you doing that!" hahaha.... A little taken aback, i explained to her that i really did audition and that id sang in an a cappella group in college. "Really?" is the only answer she could come back with.

That got my mind really thinking. What did she mean by that? How do i portray myself at work? Am i too uptight? Do i look homely? i started questioning everything. Of course i can see myself singing and performing, but why couldn't she? Is it a good think that she couldn't see me doing that bc we're in a work setting? it's something i've been pondering all day...

I told my friend and coworker, Sarah, this story and she laughed. Secretly im still a little distraught over the fact that my manager doesn't know the "real" me. but then again, what is the real me? i have so many sides and aspects of my personality. in one setting im a serious professional that writes stern, direct emails. in another, im a happy go lucky girl that just wants to sing and take pictures.

a few months ago, my friend/coworker, Todd and i were having our usual McDonald's breakfast, and i made the comment about liking sports or something (i can't remember exactly what we were talking about). Again, he told me that he couldn't see me doing that because i look like a prissy girl. i remember my jaw dropping and laughing bc that's sooooo far from who i am (or perceive myself to be). when i tried to explain/defend myself to him, that there was more to me than high heels and makeup, he just couldn't see it. it's happened more than once, and i find myself almost pleading to prove that i'm really this kind of person, not that.

just to drive it home, me and max were walking to get sushi today and ran into some guys from our original orientation class (from almost 2 years ago). I did the fist pump to say hello bc id just spilled water all over my hands. anywayz, we all ended up eating together. a little into the conversation, james, one of the most polite people ive ever met, ask max and i, "so what are you guys up to? are you two in a dating situation?" uuuuugggghhhh, max and i both looked at each other, laughed, and almost simultaneously said, "You wish!" i went on to explain to james that max and i grew up on the same street but didn't become friends until we both interviewed for the same job randomly. i did not mention the fact that we both had our respective bf and gf. i esp didn't go into detail that max's gf and my bf went to elem, middle, and high school together. that would've just been too confusing. so in short james, no. (no offense none taken max)

another fun fact you might not know about me: i like to go mall walking with my dad and mr. morgan (kristin joined us last night!)

i also love walking by the louis vuitton window, lingering and being mesmerized by the creativity and style.

No comments:

Post a Comment