Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A day of firsts


Today was a day of firsts...

let me start at the very beginning (a very fine place to start!)

i decided to wfh (work from home) today since i haven't even unpacked from my Loris trip from this weekend. it "worked" out bc kristin, john, & mrs. watson stopped by to see the place and check on the pretty pink vinca flowers that kristin planted for me in my front yard. AND, my mom and nanny stopped by for lunch in between nanny's appts. i took that pic of her drinking sweet tea bc my icemaker's not working and i told her it looked like she was drinking a beer lol.

1. made my first pot of coffee
when i was in the grocery store yesterday, i made a point to get some ground coffee and french vanilla creamer so i'd be prepared for this momentous coffee occasion...only this morning, to my dismay, i'd forgotten an essential element to the coffee making experience: filters. alas, what to do? fear not, i went to my trusty google and typed in "makeshift coffee filter" and to my surprise/excitement, found exactly what i was looking for. thanks, google ;) sooo...if you're ever out of coffee filters just fold a paper towel into quarters and wing it!

with my coffee filter rigged, i now had the major dilemma (as i do every time i brew coffee): how many scoops to put in?? i read the directions and it says, "2 tablespoons for 6 oz. of water." OK. so math is not my strong suit that early in the morning... what does that mean in cups? and how many scoops do i put in?? well, i had no clue so i put in 8 scoops from my new tablespoon measuring scoopers to my 4 cups of water. now i wait. add creamer (way too much so i add more coffee). it tastes ok. i got distracted with work and forgot all about my first cup o' joe. when i went to take a sip the coffee tasted like tar. gross. urrrrgh. needlesstosay, my 1st coffee making experience went exactly as i thought (and not as id dreamed). mediocre/fail.

helpme: Does anyone have any advice on how to make a good, not too strong, pot of coffee?

2. first dishware casualty
so i went kinda crazy at the burlington antique mall one weekend bc for me, it's a retro kitchen's mecca! among other treasures i bought that day, i bought a set of 6 tall drinking glasses from the 1950s that are each a different color and have a neat design on them. well, this was also the first time i'd cleaned up from a big dinner from the night before, so i forgot that my kitchen sink is, as dan said, like porcelain. so here i am, being good and putting my dirty dishes in the dishwasher when CRASH! the poor tall white glass shatters all in the sink. i was sad to see it go, but also learned a good lesson: never put glasses in the sink. put them beside the sink.

3. first sibling/sig other dinner
matthew asked me if he and sumter could come over tonight bc sumter wanted to see the place. meredith and dan came too and we had a great time. matthew put together a big bookshelf, and my records and book finally have a home instead of the boxes they've been in. dan's mom had sent him home with a lot of her pasta w vodka sauce, so we ate that along with chicken dan baked in the oven (bc apparently my pans suck bc they're from the 80s and never been used). dinner and company was great! we even squeezed in a little beatles rockband and finished the night (sans sumter n matthew) with watching glee!

4. first blog post ever.
idk if it's bc i just watched "julie and julia" this weekend and feeling inspired, but ive decided to keep a blog of my experiences in my new home. i've been here for almost a month and im already dreading the idea of having to move out at the end of aug. that's what i get for playing it safe and only wanting to sign a 5 month lease in case i hated living alone. so far, it's been a blast. my family has helped me so much with moving in, and i couldn't ask for better friends. i hope you stick with me and enjoy the posts.

...until the next adventures!


4 comments:

  1. Gah I missed this by two days, but I'm your first follower!! I don't read the blogs in my dashboard anywhere near as much as I should, BUT I'm trying!! Lol. I haven't blogged in at least a week either mostly because not that much interesting is really going on and EVERYONE in my family freaking reads my blog so I feel like I have to censor a lot of what I say now. BUT I'm following!! Congrats on all your firsts and welcome to the addictive world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and on the coffee thing, one (heaping) tablespoon for every 2 cups of coffee. They sell "coffee spoons" at walmart that are the exact size you need. One spoonful (more like scoopful really) per 2 cups. If you get enough water for 6 cups of coffee (go by what your coffee maker calls 6 cups, don't actually measure out 6 cups of coffee) then you'll only need 3 scoops of the ground stuff.

    If you're used to good coffee (like starbucks) you might want to invest in a coffee grinder and start buying whole beans. Same rule applies: 1 scoop of whole beans per 2 cups of water. If you want 6 cups of coffee, put 3 scoops of whole beans into the grinder, grind no more than 15 seconds. Those expensive "we do everything and know exactly how long you should grind your coffee and even have a timer to turn off the grinding" grinders are crap, just get the kind you have to hold down to grind - the basic model, and count to 15. Voila!

    Feel free to message me (here, facebook, email) if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy! I was going to say about the coffee... I put one tablespoon per cup of coffee. Is that too strong for you? I don't know! And I grind my own coffee beans too - it's better that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the coffee advice! jessica gave me this really awesome spoon that measures the "exact amount" of coffee to use :)

    ReplyDelete