Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A day for the birds (quail hollow)

Today was actually quite exciting! It started early bc i had to finish up work first thing... i wfh and typed for over 3 hours straight....only to take a quick break to make my 2nd official pot of coffee. less coffee, more water. that did the trick! mmm so good.

OK, now to the exciting part. Me, my dad, Matthew, and Mr. Morgan went to the Quail Hollow ProAm tournament this afternoon.

It my first time ever going to a golf event, so i knew only what to expect by the
movies and Sunday afternoon pga tours on tv. I thought you couldn't wear jeans, so i fished out my trusty pair of khakis that only make if out of my closet for "special occasions" aka i never wear khakis. I put on a new pink button up shirt and a new Gap scarf, pearl earrings, pearl necklace, khaki colored shoes (that used to be my grandmother's), and a khaki rain jacket just in case. Boy, did i look the preppy part! I was quite proud of this look...like playing dress up.

Matthew and i had the fancy clubhouse passes, so we got to walk through the clubhouse while my dad and Mr. Morgan met up w us on the other side. Right away, we saw MJ on the 18th hole. The crowd was pretty excited. Today is the only day you can bring a camera, so of course i brought my big camera (dan's suggestion). It was so cool how close we could get to the golfers and the action. Matthew and I posted up at 17 and watched a bunch of ppl tee off...my favorite being Rory McIlroy. I'd read a long sports illustrated article about him a few months ago, so i felt like i really knew him. Not to mention he's my age! I could recognize that curly head of Irish hair anywhere lol. So i decided to play it cool w Rory and not act like the paparazzi around him, since, i was only a few feet away from him. After he drove on 17, i decided that i was determined to say something to him and even get an autograph.

Matthew and i had a dilemma bc Davis Love III and Jimmie Johnson were coming up too... and i wanted to get Jimmie's autograph for my old boss who's a die hard fan. So we devised a plan that i would run to 18, watch Rory tee off, run to 17 where Matthew was sure to have gotten Jimmie's autograph. Well, i made it to 18 and was not hiding the fact that i was trying to make eyes at Rory to get him to notice me as the nice, normal girl... not the crazy paparazzi girl who just wanted an autograph. After Rory hit his first shot, he was walking by me and i courageously said, "Nice shot!" He looked at me, smiled and said, "Thanks!" Mission accomplished!!! so i run back to see if Matthew was as successful...no dice. except, he did redeem himself by getting John Fox and Davis Love III's autographs.

Now to tackle the Rory/Jimmie signatures. I send Matthew to 17 and tell him the perfect place to stand to get Jimmie's attention. In the meantime, i run over to 18, snap a few pics of Rory putting and make it just in time for him to walk off the course...and i happened to be right in front for an autograph. I had him sign the info card where his name was and told him, "Good luck this weekend!" to which he replied, "Thanks!" ahhhh sweet. Just when i thought it couldn't get any better, a crazy woman said a crazy thing. I was taking pics of Rory walking away, and the woman yells to Rory, "Hey, I think that girl wants you to smile for a picture." shocked, bc like 50+ were watching, i was like, "Sure, ok" and without hesitation Rory turns back towards me, stands there and smile for my pictures... to which i said, "Thanks!"

Another success story: Matthew got Jimmie's autograph...and a kindergartner could do better cursive J's. Oh well. Terry, i hope you like it! I've got a pic for proof that it's the "real deal."

Hope you enjoy some of the pic highlights.

So, from mingling with the stars and pro golfers to pretty much becoming bff w Rory, i'd say it was a very successful day.
"And i'm spent!" (throwing the camera behind me)

On another note, I watched "An Education" w my mom, dad, Mr. Morgan tonight and liked it.

































4 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I stumbled across this from my facebook feed and your in detailed description of running between holes and calculated attack plan for getting autographs without look crazy cracked me up? I'm sitting at work trying not to laugh. Especially the part where you talk about "making eyes" at Rory. Also loving the outfit girlie...whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed. _ Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love the description of your outfit. And An Education is on my netflix list, glad you enjoyed it. I kind of love Carey Mulligan.

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm w/mere... nice outfit. are you taking me to lily pulitzer next time we come home? yikes!

    anyway... re: perfect coffee. i've been practicing this for years. i've learned one mildly heaping tablespoon per cup of coffee is the perfect measurement. my pot's equivalent of "one" cup is relatively tiny. so everyday i am a 4 tablespoons of ground coffee for 4 "cups"... which in real life turns into 2. best of luck! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just ran into your blog from facebook (stalker-ish) haha. I haven't read any farther yet but know that you're tickled that you got a picture of the "winner" before he was the "winner"! Lol, looks like you had a good time!

    Christie

    ReplyDelete